What is Multi-factor authentication (MFA) and why do it?
- Two-factor authenticaion (2FA) or multi-factor Authentication (MFA) is an authentication method that requires the user to provide two or more verification factors to gain access to a resource such as an application, online account, or a VPN. 2FA/MFA is an effective way to increase account protection against common threats like phishing attacks.
- Please click here for more information.
How often do I have to re-authenticate?
- Every time a user connects to VPN, they will need to re-authenticate.
Do I have to use my personal cell phone to do 2FA/MFA?
- No. While the 2FA/MFA apps for phones work great, they are also available for computers too. Additionally, any phone, such as a landline or office phone. The system can be set up to text or call.
If I decide to use my personal cell phone, does it take a lot of data?
- No, and this app requires very minimal data and can even work without an internet connection once installed.
What if I am locked out because I lost my phone or my normal authentication option is not working?
- No problem. Users can telephone the Help Desk during normal business hours at 415-241-6476.
Have more questions? Submit a request