Once the Synergy Gradebook Sync. with TeacherVue begins for the new school year (typically the Thursday prior to the first day of school) Synergy Section Locking is enabled to prevent key fields (Course ID, Period Begin/End, Meeting Days) in the section class record from being changed and to prevent sections from being completely deleted. Having the key fields changed or sections deleted creates orphaned records in the TeacherVue Gradebook and orphaned records create problems for teachers with attendance taking and grades submissions.
If you need to change key fields to existing class sections, this requires you to create new sections with the correct information and then move students into the new sections and drop them from the old sections.
To essentially "delete" a section so that it can no longer be used accidentally, it's recommended that you take the following steps:
- Locate the affected class section record
- Change the section Max (seats) to "0"
- Change the section assigned teacher Staff Name to a "Staff__" name, or a school administrators' name
- Clear the section Room number or change it to something not generally used, "Office" for example
- Change the section Attendance Option to "Exclude from Attendance"
- Change the section Grading Option to "Exclude from Grading"