Daily student attendance absence notification broadcasts to parents/guardians through SchoolMessenger for school year 2019-2020 are schedule to begin on Monday, September 9.
What does this mean for schools?
- As with prior school year, attendance phone calls and email notifications are fully automatic, so your staff will not have to manually submit call lists.
- Large volumes of calls can go out at once, meaning we can quickly reach our families in the event their children have unexcused absences.
What does this mean for our families?
- With SchoolMessenger, we have access to a wide range of languages to better connect with our families, including Arabic, Tagalog, Hindi, Vietnamese, Russian, Mandarin, and several more!
- SchoolMessenger has functionality to handle mobile phones, voicemail, and answering machines, which will ensure that more families are reached when students are marked absent. See below for the messages that are delivered by school level.
What do we need to do?
Simply make sure your school site’s student attendance is put into Synergy accurately and on time. Once attendance calls begin for the day at your site, any students marked with an unexcused absence afterward will not receive an attendance call.
What time to the phone call and email notifications go out?
All Elementary and K-8 schools will have their attendance broadcasts start at 10:20 AM, and Middle and High schools will have their attendance broadcasts start at 4:00 PM on school days.
We additionally recommend communicating this attendance call functionality to your school’s families. We suggest sharing information about the attendance calls:
- on your school’s website
- in your principal’s newsletter
- through a SchoolMessenger general announcement broadcast to your families
- by other methods that work well for your school community
What if we don’t want calls to go out on a particular day?
Not a problem. Simply contact the DoT Help Desk at help.sfusd.edu or 415-241-6476 at least one (1) hour prior to your school’s attendance broadcast time, and calls for your site that day can be disabled but will resume automatically for subsequent days.
What if I have more questions?
If you have any questions or concerns, please submit a service request ticket or call 415-241-6476.
What is the message that gets delivered?
Daily Attendance Default Message (Elementary & K-8 Schools)
Hello. This is a message from <<School Name>>. Your student <<First Name>> <<Last Name>> was marked absent from school today, <<Day and Date>>. Please call us at <<School Phone Number>> to clear the absence, or send a signed note to the office upon your student’s return to school that explains the reason for the absence. If you have already contacted the school office, you can disregard this message. If you would like to hear this message again, please press the star key on your telephone. Thank you.
Period Attendance Default Message (Middle & High Schools)
Hello. This is a message from <<School Name>>. Your student <<First Name>>
<<Last Name>> was marked absent today <<Day and Date>> during the following class periods: <<Periods Missed>>. Please call our Attendance Office at <<School Phone Number>> to clear the absence, or send a signed note that explains the reason for the absence upon your student’s return to school. If you have already contacted the attendance office, you can disregard this message. If you would like to hear this message again, please press the star key on your telephone. Thank you.